I've been thinking about my goals, and decided not to include things like selling a book. Of course, I'd LOVE to sell one or more manuscripts, but my very wise mentor, Joyce Sweeney, told me it's better to make goals that I have the power to achieve. I used to have goals like getting published by age 40, and it wasn't easy to see that goal pass me by after all my hard work. I had a lot of close calls this year, and hope next year will be filled with tons of magical moments.
Here are the goals that will hopefully make 2012 a wonderful, successful year:
1. Revise/rewrite several middle grade novels and write one new MG--get at least one or two novels ready to submit.
2. Plot out a chapter book series and hopefully write a draft of the first book.
3. Participate in the 12 x 12 Picture Book Challenge that starts TOMORROW! I've been fleshing out my PiBoIdMo ideas, and can't wait to write one new draft each month using them.
4. Write 7 new picture book drafts in May for the NaPiBoWriWee Challenge. (One will count for both the 12 x 12 and this challenge, which means I'll be writing 18 new PB drafts this year--wow!!!!!)
5. Revise at least 15 picture book manuscripts, submit the ones that are ready, and finish polishing up the ones that are almost ready to dazzle.
6. Read tons of books--at least 100 fairly recent picture books, plus more than 30 novels and chapter books.
7. Attend at least two conferences. This should be easy, since I'm already going to the FL SCBWI Conference in January. I can't wait!!!!
And here are a few non-writing goals:
* Spend more time with family and friends.
* Exercise at least 4 times a week (sometimes I'm great with this, and other times, I'm so busy that a week or more slips by without me exercising (luckily, Becca often asks me to walk Lolly with her, so I do move around a bit...but I'd love to be able to keep a regular exercise schedule again.)
* Organize my office (okay, so I guess this is writing-related, but my office is also full of all kinds of mail and school papers that other people throw in there and it's getting hard to see my desk)!
* Try to get more sleep (this is always sooooo hard for me to do, and as you can tell, I'm not sure if I'll be able to achieve this goal, but I'll at least attempt to squeeze in some extra sleep whenever possible).
Happy New Year!!! How was 2011 for you, and what are your goals for 2012?